FAQ about Classes
Frequently Asked Questions – FAQ (answered by Yuki)
1. Who is suitable to Belly Dance?
Ans: All females are welcome. Our students range from 8 years old to their 70s. No one is too old to dance.
2. Do I need a big belly to dance?
Ans: No. Any kind of belly can dance, no matter its flat or big.
3. What is the appropriate dressing for the belly dancing class?
Ans: You can simply wear something comfortable like workout pants/ dance pants, tank top/leotard/ even a fitting cotton T- shirt, hip scarf or any scarf that is long enough to tie over your hips.
4. Does Belly Dance helps to lose weight?
Ans: Yes. Any form of physical activity can help you to lose weight especially with sensible eating habits.
5. Can I Belly dance without any dance background?
Ans: Of course you can dance, it’s a great way to start taking other dance cos it gives you a sense of body confident and comfort that no other dance can provide.
6. What kind of music is used when Belly Dancing?
Ans: During classes and performing, we use mostly Middle Eastern music. Practically, you can belly dance to any music as long as you can move to the rhythm.
7. I had back and knee injuries, can I learn belly dance now?
Ans: Of course you can dance and it’s important to exercise and strengthen your back muscles and leg muscles so that it will not deteriorate. Please inform the instructor if you are feeling “bad” pain doing certain movement and prevent movements like sudden squat and jump, backbend and floor work. There are always alternative movements you can use.
8. Can I dance with high blood pressure & ‘poor’ heart condition?
Ans: Yes. Unlike jogging or aerobics, blood pressure is not raised significantly. Some physiotherapists refer patients for belly dancing because the rotations and rounded movements free up the spine and joints in a non-jarring way.
9. Can a pregnant woman bellydance too?
Ans: Pregnant women find belly dancing an excellent prenatal exercise because it strengthens the pelvic muscles and loosens up the abdominal area. It strengthens back and leg muscles, which are very critical for a woman to carry her pregnancy well.
10. What is the class like?
Ans: Lotsa fun & laughter! Usually as a small class set-up, from 8-17 people except for advanced workshops, which his even smaller.
11. Can I do more than one class (same level) a week?
Ans: Yes, it’s a great idea to do more than one class per week – you will get fitter quicker and learn to dance at a faster rate which in return you can have a stronger technique foundation. To encourage such keen learning, we offer a special discount rate for course fee at only $140+$80 = $220 if you sign up 2 class (of same level) a week.
12. If I want to improve certain techniques, how can I do it?
Ans: You can take up extra classes of same level OR engage the instructor for private coaching OR strengthen those muscles that are used for the certain techniques through professional advise (please seek advise from instructor first because most Personal Trainers do not understand bellydance and hard to give you the right advise).
13. When can I perform Belly dance?
Ans: You can perform anytime you feel confident enough to show what you’ve got. Belly dance is more than just techniques; it’s a reflection of your personality, spirit & energy. Dance with your heart and the audience will be able to appreciate your warmth and compassion. Please be advised to wear appropriate costumes for different types of Belly Dance style and occasions.
14. If I miss one class, can I go for another class as make-up class?
Ans: Yes. You can do a make-up class of same level on the same week. Simply inform your instructor which make-up class you will be going so that she can inform the instructor of that class.
15. If I have to be out-station or go on one week holiday, how do I make-up for the missing class?
Ans: If you miss the whole week, what we suggest is to go for 2 classes for the following week. As all the classes are progressive and new movements taught in last class will be revised on the next class.
16. I would like to be a professional bellydancer, how do I go about it?
Ans: Bellydance Discovery is the only Bellydance School in Singapore that develops and grooms professional Bellydancers in Singapore. You will need to complete all the levels and Essential Dance Course (EDC) before you can enrol to Professional Dance Course (PDC). For more details on PDC, please click here.
17. If I have bellydance or other dance background, which level should I join?
Ans: We need to assess your bellydance techniques if you have learnt bellydance before. Assessment needs to be arranged and usually carried out after the trial workshops. If you have other dance background but no bellydance, it would be advisable to learn the basics from scratch. You can always opt for a private class if you feel that you can learn the basics relatively fast. Email or call for a private class at 9879 9960 or email@example.com
18. Is bellydance like exotic dance or seductive dance?
Ans: No. Bellydance is a culture, an art & dance form which is highly artistic. It started thousands of years ago as a birth ritual dance, a celebration for birth and new lives. No doubt bellydance brings the beauty, grace and femininity out of women which looks sensual but its not an exotic or sexual dance. Its a dance that celebrates womanhood. We would never teach exotic dance in Bellydance Discovery.
19. Are there any terms and conditions?
Ans: Yes, please see below for the terms & conditions. Thank you.
Courses Terms & Conditions
What should you do if you are unable to attend classes registered for but you have paid the course fee?
- Please inform us at least 3 working days before class commences. The date & course fee shall be brought forward to next term only.
- 2 months grace period within the term for make up lesson starts from the date of class commencement or it shall be forfeited.
- Due to injury, please send email & medical report for deferment of class before the class term ends.
- Due to business trips in overseas for more than 1 month, please send email to get acceptance of a make up schedule classes before traveling.
- Any notification after traveling or short business trip shall not be accepted.
Other terms of Courses:
All course fees & deposit are non-refundable and non-transferable to another person.
- Students are only allowed to transfer the course fee & deposit to only the next term, provided that they have not started the class.
- Please provide at least 3 working days notice before class commencement.
- Students repeating the course is – Max.4 in each class.
- Discounts, privileges, terms & conditions may be amended without prior notice at the sole discretion of Bellydance Discovery Pte Ltd.
- There will be a $20 administrative fee imposed when there are any changes needed in any exceptional situations.
20. How do I pay for the course?
Ans: The following are the modes of payment.
1) Cash/NETS/ Visa or Mastercard/Cheque
You can make payment for the course at the studio: 20 Peck Seah Street, #03-00 Singapore 079312 (3 mins walk from Tanjong Pagar MRT, Exit A) from 12pm-10pm for weekdays. For other timing, kindly call us at 98799960 before coming over to the studio.
2) By Post
You can send us a cheque payable to ” Bellydance Discovery Pte Ltd” to address:
Bellydance Discovery Pte Ltd
20 Peck Seah Street
#03-00 Nanyang Khek Community Guild
Kindly write down your name, contact no., email and the date/time of the course you wish to pay for at the back of the cheque.